This exercise is designed to explore how the students perceive the role of marketing.
The students are asked to review the statements about marketing listed below, answer the questions and argue their answers.
1. Marketing appeals to me as it is argueably the most important department of any business.
2. The marketing concept is a philosophy. It makes the customer and the satisfaction of his or her needs the focal point of all business activities.
3. Marketing is simply another word for advertising.
4. The main goal of marketing is to maximize the number of customers, all other goals are not as important.
5. Marketing has always been part of business, and it is a myth that it is purely a contemporary idea.
6. Marketing is all about making people buy products they don’t really want.
7. Marketing tasks are fairly simple, particularly compared to complex and serious roles/functions like finance and engineering.
8. Marketing is the management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and satisfying customer requirements profitably.
9. The philosophy of marketing needs to be owned by everyone from within the organization.
10. Marketing is profitably sales.
1. Which of the above statements do you agree with?
2. Which ones you disagree with? Why?
3. Compare your perceptions against those of your fellow students .